JUNE 2020: Scribis 3.0 (English version) has arrived! Scribis is a free online editor that allows students and writers to work in one place with many language tools. Based on the last words typed or dictated in the editor, Scribis will suggest words, synonyms, phrases instantly and pertinently. You can choose to work with dictionaries of synonyms, collocations, thesauri like Roget's Thesaurus, Moby Thesaurus, Wordnet and other lexical databases generated by neural networks and databases of sentences selected from classic novels. For a brief introduction to the program watch the VIDEO GUIDE or read this GUIDE or read on below
MARCH 2020: New releases! English versions of Scribis Matrix, useful brainstorming tool to generate word matrices, Scribis Thesauri and Scribis Thesauri plus, simplified versions of Scribis 3.0, with which you can work with 3 assistants active simultaneously:
- Video Guide of Scribis 3.0
- Video about Scribis Matrix
- Video about Scribis Thesauri
- Presentation page of the linguistic tools of the Scribis Project
- Visual-Thesaurus Project
- Italian version of Scribis 3.0
- To send suggestions, to report bugs, to expand to other fields or languages and collaborate on the project: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scribis on TWITTER
- Scribis on FACEBOOK
Scribis 3.0 is easy and simple to use. Type in the editor: based on the last words you write, Scribis will suggest words, synonyms and phrases instantly and pertinently. For example, if you type "It was a dark and stormy night", Scribis will return you, quickly and pertinently, not only the synonyms, the collocations, the semantic fields, of "night", "dark" and "stormy", but also dozens of sentences that contain analogies, similarities, emotions and images, related to these three words.
- Scribis searches can be triggered by the space key (by default) or by the tab key: choose the one you prefer in the settings window
- For tablets and other touch devices: 1) Automatic suggestion is activated by tapping inside the editor. 2) Activate the full screen view by clicking on the button located in the lower left menu.
- Support: Chrome, Opera, Firefox, IE Explorer. Android devices (you can add Scribis icon to your Home Screen)
- MODELS function is not yet active for english texts
- Working with the CLICK function, you will lose all formatting.
In the top left menu, the AUTO button is initially active. It indicates the automatic search function: Scribis will continuously search the databases based on what you type in the editor and based on the active dictionaries (indicated by darker buttons ).
If you choose the CLICK button instead, the automatic search is disabled, the editor becomes slightly darker and all the words you have written so far (excluding articles and prepositions) are underlined and become clickable: you will choose for which words to ask for the help of Scribis. Obviously if you type other words in the editor, you will have to click again on CLICK to make the new words you added also clickable.
The button allows you to copy the text to the clipboard.
The button allows you to save or import files. MORE INFO
The B I U button allow you to format the text. WARNING: Working with the CLICK function you will lose all formatting.
The button disables searches. Click again on or AUTO to reactivate Scribis' searches.
The button opens a new window with a larger editor (with no Scribis' searches).
The button is for full-screen mode. By clicking again on it, you return to the normal display
The CLOSE GUIDE button hides this presentation. Click again on it to bring up the guide again.
- SCRIBIS returns results from both dictionaries and sentence databases.
- DICTIONARIES returns results only from dictionaries. And you will be able to work with a bigger windows.
- PHRASES returns results only from databases of sentences. Here too you can work with two larger columns.
- MODELS mode allows you to work not only with dictionaries and databases of phrases but also with short texts taken from classic novels. It is not yet active for english texts.
The button opens the settings window. Here you can choose:
- the key that triggers Scribis searches: SPACE (default) or TAB
- select other dictionaries or databases: choose the teams to play with!
You can quickly move between one dictionary and another. The active default dictionaries are:
MOBY-1 : The largest thesaurus in the English language compiled by Grady Ward. READ MORE
COLLOC : The words that most frequently associate with a given word. READ MORE
SYNONYMS : No need for explanations. witch: (name), sorcerer, seer, magician, wizard, conjurer
WORDNET : A wonderful lexical database for the english language by Princeton University (2010): it groups words into sets of synonyms called synsets. READ MORE
In the settings window (click on ), you can also choose:
MOBY-3 : Same database of MOBY-1 but Scribis' results are based on the last three words entered. READ MORE
ROGET : Old classic Roget's Thesaurus (1914 edition). READ MORE
W2V : Dictionary generated by a neural network based on a corpus of texts selected by the Gutenberg project. READ MORE
Scribis return dozens of sentences that contain analogies, similarities, emotions and images, related to the last three words typed.
You can quickly move between one database and another. The active default databases are:
ALL : MORE INFO
ANALOGIES : MORE INFO
VISUAL : MORE INFO
EMOTIONS : MORE INFO
In the settings window (click on ), you can also choose:
MOBY-3 : Same database of MOBY-1 but Scribis' results are based on the last three words enteredMORE INFO
You can move a phrase from the list of results to the editor by clicking on the button which is next to each sentence (and before moving it you can already edit it)
Furthermore, for the databases of the sentences, to have different results, you can set the search according to the length of the sentences. You can choose: ALL (no filter), MIN (short sentences), MEDIUM and MAX (long sentences).
It will be a section dedicated to very short passages or poems of the great authors of Literature. The texts will be divided into CHARACTERS , PLACES , SCENES and EMOTIONS . A last button MY is to allow you to insert your own study text. By clicking on a button each time, a different text is returned to you.
Scribis 4.0 is coming soon. It will include other linguistic tools and a desktop edition